Monday, June 28, 2010

Not the best week

The weather here has taken a drastic change from the way it was the first few weeks here. I have not seen the sun in about 5 or 6 days, it has been cold and rainy. Had to cancel baseball practices, and spend a lot of time inside where there is not much to do. The rain has also caused severe flooding in Northern Bosnia, we saw that over 150 land mines have gone off because the rain moved them. People are also worried because there are about 600,000 land mines left in Bosnia, and the government used to have a general idea of where they were, but now that the rain is picking them up and moving them it will make life more complicated.
I got to watch the USA play Ghana in the World Cup, I really liked our chances before the game, but Ghana played well. I was happy though that the game did not end as soon as they scored in the extra time like overtime in hockey. When I saw Ghana score their second goal, I was ready to go home, but then we got to watch another 20 minutes, haha but it didn't matter. During the game a car outside the place I was watching it ran up on to a curb and hit a fence, very minor accident, but the buildings downtown emptied into the streets. People were lining up everywhere to watch the cop give the guy a ticket, I felt bad for him, not much happens around here so a small car accident is big news.
I got back from Sarajevo today, I went there with my roommate to drop off his friend that was here for the last two weeks. I am going to miss him, he was a cool guy, we got to play a lot of ping-pong with him because of the weather. There is a group of people from Georgia coming this weekend to help us out with English Camp that starts Monday. We did the registration for it this Saturday and it was quite the experience, I was outside the center playing the role of "body guard" with another guy. The posters we put up said that it would start at 10:00 am, but since the people who have come in the past years know it is "first come, first serve" many showed up early. We are only allowed to take 160 students, and we handed out 160 cards before 9:30 am, so you can imagine the parents who showed up at 10:00 am -when we told them we had no room left. Lets just say I was glad I don't speak Bosnian. I felt bad for the kids though, we had them sign a waiting list in case some don't show up, but I am hoping we can find a way to fit them in even if everyone shows up.
I will be a team captain for English camp, it is 5 nights a week for the next two weeks, and the ages range from 6 to 13. As part of being a captain, I will visit the kids in my group during the day before camp. I am excited to get to know them and meet there parents, since most of the relationships I have built so far have been with the high school age crowd. This is the last week of adventure camp, we are planning a photo scavenger hunt for tomorrow night, so hopefully it doesn't rain, and Thursday we are planning a day trip to a cave about 2 hours from here. We never did get to go kayaking because of the rain and cold weather.
Today was my last day of Bosnian class, some of us took the teacher out to lunch before, she just graduated high school and is going to study mechanical engineering in the fall. Very smart girl.
Still not used to the customs here yet, haha had two funny experiences with ice cream this week. One was last night, I tried to order some and the man said he did not recommend it, I was confused - thinking he meant that it was not good, but I was really in the mood for it anyway, so I persisted to order it. Come to find out, they believe if you eat cold food like ice cream while it is cold outside you will get sick. And they don't even sell ice cream during the winter. But I ate it, it was good, and I am still alive. The ice cream here is really good, and I usually get 2 scoops, but they are small and it takes about a minute to eat, so I tried to order 5 scoops ( which is less than the amount of ice cream in a small blizzard at Dairy queen) and the guy completely ignored me. He thought I used the wrong word, so he said "2 scoops", and corrected him and said "pet" (5), he had a confused look on his face. So I held up 5 fingers to let him know I knew what I was saying, he eventually gave it over. Needless to say, it still was enough, took about 2 minutes to eat, haha but I am afraid he will have a heart attack if I try asking for more than 5. They tell me that no one ever orders more than 3. Speaking of food, I timed the guy at the pizza shop yesterday, from the time I placed my order, it took 4 minutes and 23 seconds to have the pizza sitting in front of me. I watched him take the dough out of the fridge and make it, the pizza is thin but it is still amazing how fast they cook it.
Sorry I don't update this more regularly, the internet here is very confusing, I have not been able to get on the past couple of days, and it seems to always not be working when I want to post a blog.

1 comment:

  1. i really like reading your blog! hope the weather gets better soon :)

    ReplyDelete