Thursday, June 10, 2010

Basketball and First Night of Adventure Camp

I had the opportunity this week to play basketball with a group of guys at the local park. I was really excited to play because I have not played basketball in a while, but after just a few minutes I realized that basketball in Bosnia is quite different from what I am used to. For example, not many people play defense because the person with the ball will call a foul on you for pretty much anything just so that they don't have to play defense. Haha one guy called a foul on me because I put my hand in front of his face while he was shooting, I was confused because I did not touch him or anything, I did not understand how he could call a foul. It was frustrating. They were good at shooting the ball though, but it is easy to shoot when no one is playing defense. Although I was annoyed at how they play the game, it was good to meet new people and spend time with older guys who will not come to the camps that we are running this summer.
Our first night of "adventure camp" was Tuesday night and it went very well. We had about 20 kids register at the start of it, but while we were playing the games outside we had more kids who were watching join in. We set up and obstacle course for the kids to do, but the tricky part was they had to do it while holding a plastic cup filled with water in their mouth. At the end of the course they had to pour the water out into their team's bucket. There typically was not much water left by the time they finished it though. We also played games like "3-legged" soccer where they each picked a partner and tied their ankles together, and games similar to tag but with different objectives and rules. After all the running around we had them come inside the center just to relax before going home. Me and a group of guys played ping-pong, they were better at it than I expected. Some of the kids were playing card games or just talking, it was good to actually talk with them while sitting down as opposed to talking with them while chasing them around outside. Some of the girls who came wanted to get their picture with me before they left, which did not seem too weird but then the one asked me to marry her haha, I tried to be polite and say I was too old but they did not really care. It will be interesting to see what they say tonight. I ran into 3 of the guys I played ping-pong with last night while walking downtown and they were really happy to see me. They shook my hand and talked to me for a while, they also said they were going to be here tonight. I was glad to see that they enjoyed themselves. A lot of the games and challenges we have them do are very foreign to their culture, but it seems to interest them.
We have baseball practice today at 3, and it is going to be really hot. The game that we have been getting them ready for is this Saturday, in a town about 3 hours from here. So hopefully they all show up today, although most have been busy with school work and other things. Last practice we focused mostly on hitting, I put on the catcher's equipment, it was a good thing a drank a lot of water before that because it was super hot. One of the boys had to leave early because the heat was getting to him. 90 degrees in Bosnia is hotter than 90 degrees in America because you have to walk everywhere and no one has air conditioning. I bought a fan yesterday from the grocery store, I wanted a small one but they only sell one style. When I opened it up and saw all the different pieces and instruction booklet with no English, I was not sure I would be able to get it working but I managed. Although there are definitely some pieces still sitting on my table that should have been put on the fan somewhere, I just didn't know where. But it is working.

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear things are going well! Maybe you will come home with a wife!
    be safe
    Samantha Froio

    ReplyDelete
  2. So my parents LOVE reading your blog. They are always asking me if you posted a new one yet! Keep up all the good work! Nathan misses you a lot! Maybe in August when you come home we can make a trip down to Virginia to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zac, so good to hear you are doing well it is truly a relief for me. I love reading your updates, keep them coming. We miss you terribly but are so excited about your opportunity their. Keep up the good work, you are continually in our thought and prayers.Love you!!!Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny stuff zac. sounds like the NBA over there with no defense. i had a friend in the army that met a girl from bosnia over the internet, we got 2 weeks leave from iraq and he flew to bosnia and married her, they r still married with 2 kids. im not recommending anything to you at all im just saying it is a funny story. cya man.

    ReplyDelete