Sunday, June 20, 2010

Halfway

It is hard to believe our four week adventure camp is already half way done. We were afraid the hike was going to be canceled yesterday because it was raining here, but the trail was about a half hour away and it was dry there. A couple allowed us to park at there cottage out there, they actually came with us and their grandson did the hike. After we sat in their yard around a camp fire and made "stick bread". Basically just dough wrapped around a stick and held over the fire until its cooked. The best part is putting the chocolate on it after. One of the main regrets while hiking was the idea to play basketball the night before until I got blisters. I did not think the hike would be too demanding since we were taking all the kids on it, but it was more difficult than I thought. The kids seemed more occupied with eating the berries along the way to feel tired. Some parts were really steep and on the way down one hill, a girl in our group actually fell and rolled to the bottom, we were lucky it was the grass part of the trail. She laughed about it after. Hiking is more stressful when you have to keep an eye on every kid to make sure they stay on the path, especially when most want to be out ahead of the group. Even though the internet says all the landmines in Bosnia have been found, the fact that I heard one go off Thursday while at the center and saw the smoke assures me that no one should walk anywhere but on the trail. The hike itself took about 2 hours, we had the kids split up into groups of about 20, and we made it more interesting by hiding a treasure box filled with candy bars at the end. They had to find some clues along the way which led them to the key that opened the box. This week we are planning on taking them kayaking down the river, I am really excited for that because I have never been kayaking down the river, but the water is really cold so I hope I don't fall in.
We have had 2 new kids join our baseball practice, which is encouraging, I hope the team continues to grow, our practice Saturday was cut short when it started pouring down rain. The people here do not like rain at all, they think if you are outside and you are wet, then you will get sick. So if was funny to see the whole park make a desperate run for shelter while myself and some of the coaches took our time. I thought the rain felt good, it had been really hot out. The new haircut has helped with the heat though haha. One last thing about that, I am starting to get used to it, but I also cannot be too upset about it because I have had many haircuts in America where the person cutting my hair spoke perfect English and I still did not get what I wanted. For example when the lady cut off my bangs completely then asked after if I wanted her to fix anything. There are some pictures up on facebook now if anyone is curious about what it looks like.

2 comments:

  1. HI Zachary, souds like the hike went well, glad to hear that. Sorry about the blisters, hope they heal soon. Stickbread sounds interesting, glad you enjoyed it. Hope you have a great week, you are in my prayers. I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi zac,thinking of you and praying for you.have a good week .love you

    ReplyDelete