Saturday, July 17, 2010

English Camp and my ipod are both done.

Somewhat of a sad story, this week I went to turn on my ipod and the screen was just white, I have tried a lot of different things to get it to work but the screen is always just white. Its sad because I use it a lot here because I spend a lot of time alone. What else is sad is that I could find another ipod here if I looked hard but I would not have the money to buy all the music I want to put on it. So I am hoping for some type of miracle, but if not I will just have to adjust to life without it.
Yesterday was the last night of English Camp, and overall it was a huge success. Outside of some minor problems with the boys in our group, I think everyone that came had a great time. Last night and Thursday night we allowed their parents to come and see what they have been doing all week. It was cool to see how many showed up with cameras or video taped their children with their cell phones singing and playing the games. My friend Isaac and I wanted to take some of our group out to get pizza during the day with a translator but the only time that worked for all of them was at night, so we planned to meet at the center around 8:30pm. Haha all the boys showed up on time but we forgot that the translators were only at the center during the day. So we took them anyway, it would have been hard to explain to them that pizza night was canceled when I dont know how to say that in Bosnian. It went a lot better than I thought it would have and by the end of the night I was glad we didn't have a translator. It forced me to use all the words I have been learning and hearing in conversations, it was also fun to figure out words using hand motions. For example they taught me words like "hot" and "cold" by doing motions like touching the pizza and then touching their drink. It was a really good time, one of the boys knew the word "Catholic", he said it and pointed at us in the form of a question, I tried to explain to him that i was not but then he asked "Muslim?" and I said no. That would have been the only time I wish we had a translator, but even if they think we are Catholic, at least we showed them that people other than Muslims can be nice. Because after the war most of the children have only heard negative things about people who are not Muslim.
Early this morning the whole team from Georgia and the two teenagers from London left. I woke up to say goodbye to them all, everyone here is going to miss them. It was interesting to see them leave because any other time I have been out of the country, I have been with a short term team and I never really understood the impact I had on the people who would be there before and after our trip. We were truly blessed and thankful for each person that came, we would have not been able to do the camp without them and it was also great to hang out with other people that spoke English. It does feel different though now that they are gone, I cannot believe how fast their two weeks here went by.
I walked across the river today to the small rock island called "the beach" where everyone hangs out. The river water was freezing, I am not sure how the people here swim in it. If you want to know how cold it is, our friend visiting got in up to her knees as a dare at night, stepped on a piece of glass or something and didnt even realize it because her feet were numb. About 7 minutes later we were on our way home and she says "my foot kind of hurts", she lifts it up and her sandal is covered in blood, she had a deep cut on her big toe. It ended up being o.k. but it was crazy how quickly her feet went numb and how long it took for her to get feeling back, even though she was only in the river for about 1 minute. I also saw someone jump off the bridge today into the river, even if it was bath water I would not do that because the area you have to land in is very small, if you land anywhere else it is too shallow.
I have been getting a lot of friend requests on facebook from the younger kids that came to camp, I am not sure how they even found me. What else is funny is that some came up to me and asked "email? please" while holding a pen and paper. I am trying to figure out how I will even know who they are when they e-mail me because each one of them were not in my group so I dont know their name. Plus they barely spoke English so I am wondering what they will type to me. Probably the craziest thing that happened this week was on Thursday night, a boy from our group named Amar was saying something to me in Bosnian, and his friend Azmir translated it wrong to me on purpose. Then they said some things to each other in Bosnian and a small fight broke out. Isaac and I were right there so we stepped in after the first couple kicks, but a punch was thrown while we were separating them, and then some large rocks were picked up. They both had to be sent home for the night, but we have talked to both of them since and they seem to be friends again.
Looked at the pictures from my family's vacation to the beach, haha I was really wishing I would have been with them except for the picture of my uncle John carrying a million things from the house to the beach. That is one thing I dont miss, that can feel like the never ending walk when you are holding boogie boards, beach chairs, shovels, buckets, etc.. haha. I do miss sand as well, the beach today was all rocks, its very uncomfortable to lay on.
Time is still going by really fast, and I feel like I wont be ready to leave in a few weeks, I cannot imagine how it felt for the people who came for 2 weeks. There are new and exciting things each week, I am really thankful I have been able to stay this long. Still planning on visiting some other countries before I leave, was looking at bus tickets today, will be cheaper than flying and I would also like to take the bus so that I can look out the window and see more of the country then I would in a plane. Not 100% sure as to where I am going though, my goal is to just see new places, which should be easy because I have only been to one of the neighboring countries. Best of luck to everyone reading this.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Zachary,
    so sorry about the IPOD hopefully it will start working again. Sounds like you have had a great week, so good to hear that. We can't begin to tell you how much we missed not having you on vacation with us, but so glad that you have been able to do what you are doing. We miss you like crazy!!! Can't wait to see you. You are continually in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey zac,its great to be able to hear from you,and get an idea of how things are going.cant wait to catch up with you when your back.take care.uncle john

    ReplyDelete